Place Vendôme is a luxury and jewelry symbol in Paris. The greatest jewelry designers are located there. This place was designed in 1699 by the architect Jules Hardouin-Mansart (the architect of the Chateau de Versailles). Place Vendôme is octogonal and symetric with an architectural unity. At the center, there is a column surmounted by a statue. Originally, there was an equestrian statue of King Louis XIV but it was remplaced in 1863 by a statue of Napoléon as Ceasar. The column was destructed during the Paris Commune (1871 March 18th-1871 May 27th) but was reconstructed.
Sources : http://www.parisrues.com/ ; http://www.georges.dambier.fr/ ; modernwearing.com ; http://www.lesvisitesdemaud.fr/ ; hprints.com ; http://tumblr.com/ ; http://pinterest.com/ and http://paris1900.lartnouveau.com/